What to Expect During an Initial Chiropractic Assessment
Patients new to the chiropractic experience often have no idea what to expect during their first visit. Some have heard that chiropractic adjustments are painful, while others have a natural fear of the unknown that extends to all types of medical procedures. The fact is your first visit to the chiropractor will involve a good amount of discussion because it’s crucial that we find out the appropriate information to diagnose the condition before deciding which type of therapy you may need.
Professional Care Rehab Centre: Chiropractic Clinic in Thornhill
We understand that any new healthcare treatment can create anxiety and uncertainty in patients. So we at Professional Care Rehab Centre, Chiropractic Clinic in Thornhill strive to create a positive, relaxed atmosphere for our clients. Typically, your first visit to our clinic will include a history of your condition, a physical examination of your condition, the diagnosis of your condition and a treatment plan and prognosis going forward. The steps in the initial chiropractic assessment are listed below:
History – You’ll be asked to fill out a few forms that will provide us information on your current symptoms as well as your relevant medical history. Once the intake forms are filled out you will see the chiropractor and the history portion of the assessment will begin. Some questions that may be asked in the history portion of the initial assessment are listed below:
- When did you first notice symptoms?
- Where and how do your symptoms manifest?
- Is your pain and discomfort constant or does it come and go?
- Is it possible symptoms are related to a traumatic event like sports injury or car accident?
- Have you received any other forms of therapy for your symptoms?
- Are you currently taking any medications for your symptoms?
You may also be asked to provide relevant information on your family medical history and whether you’ve had prior injuries.
Physical Examination – Once we’ve gathered the necessary history information we will begin with the physical examination portion of the initial assessment. Some of the testing that will occur in the physical examination will be as follows:
- Range of motion tests on the affected area.
- Inspection of the muscle tone and joints in the affected area.
- Orthopedic tests on the affected area.
- Strength testing of the relevant musculature.
Diagnosis and Recommendations – After gathering information and conducting an appropriate physical examination the chiropractor will offer their diagnosis of your condition and recommend a treatment plan that may or may not include chiropractic manipulation therapy. The chiropractor will also:
- Discuss specifics of the anticipated chiropractic treatment and different modes of therapy.
- Provide you an estimate for the anticipated length of therapy.
- Discuss the anticipated cost of the treatment.
- Answer any and all questions you may have.
Once all of this information is discussed and your informed consent is given, then the Chiropractor will begin with the treatment portion of the initial visit.
Your first visit to the chiropractor will be an exercise in calm, thoughtful assessment of your physical condition in order to arrive at a carefully considered diagnosis and recommended course of treatment. Like most patients of Professional Care Rehab Centre, Chiropractic Clinic in Thornhill, you’ll leave better informed about your condition and injury with a clearly laid out course of action.